Over 100 hundred years ago, Sudbury became the first community in Ontario to own and operate its own electricity generating facility. The peak demand for electricity has evolved from the original 75 thousand watts (75 Kilowatts) to a high of 200 million watts (200 Megawatts) and now is about 150 million watts (150 Megawatts), but the motivation remains to keep Greater Sudbury Hydro customers at the leading-edge of innovation.
From the original steam-powered plant, we have moved to 30 substations controlled by the latest in computerized equipment. This system supplies safe and reliable electricity to residential and commercial customers, ensuring that the community has the electrical infrastructure to grow and prosper in an evolving energy marketplace.
At Greater Sudbury Hydro, we’re proud of our over 100 year history as Responsible, Responsive and Reliable electricity distributors to the over 47,400 homes and business we serve.
We pride ourselves on being fiscally responsible. We strive to keep our delivery charges as low as possible, while we maintain our delivery infrastructure.Read More
We provide our customers with fast and effective service. According to Oraclepoll surveys conducted in 2013, 2014, and 2015, 90-97% of those surveyed were either “satisfied” or “totally satisfied” with us.Read More
Greater Sudbury Hydro supports causes important to our employees and our community, donating time and resources back into Greater Sudbury.Read More
Company Fast Facts
- We deliver electricity to over 47,400 customers within the City of Greater Sudbury and within the Municipality of West Nipissing.
- Greater Sudbury Hydro Inc. is a local distribution company, incorporated as an Ontario Business Corporation.
- The shareholder is the City of Greater Sudbury.
- The Ontario Energy Board regulates our activities and defines performance standards.
- As a regulated utility we do not make a profit from selling energy, we simply pass through the costs without markup.
- Our revenue comprises only a fraction of your total bill. It’s called the “distribution rate”.
- Our local distribution rate makes up part of the Read More line on your bill, and is approved by the Ontario Energy Board. We are required to report to the OEB regularly, and must apply for any and all rate changes. Click for more about Rates.
Greater Sudbury Hydro provides electricity to over 47,400 customers within the City of Greater Sudbury and the Municipality of West Nipissing. From the original steam-powered plant, we have moved to dozens of substations controlled by the latest in computerized equipment. This system supplies reliable electricity to residential and commercial customers, insuring that the community has the electrical infrastructure to grow and prosper. We own and maintain the distribution system of power lines that deliver electricity as lower voltage to your home or business.
- We restore your power in case of outages or emergencies;
- We monitor your smart meter and calculate your charges for billing purposes;
- We maintain a current and historical record of your account, including your consumption;
- We trim trees around our lines, towers and buildings, as well as remove standing water, grass, garbage or debris on our rights-of-way (ROW) and easements;
- We operate and maintain the city’s street lights.