Ontario Electricity Rebate

Changes to the Ontario Electricity Rebate – Eligibility has expanded!

Effective July 1, 2022, the Ontario Electricity Rebate (OER) has expanded the types of customers that may qualify for this rebate.

Who qualifies for the OER?

Small commercial customers (billed under a General Service Energy rate class) who use less than 50kW and General Service customers who have a demand greater than 50 kW but use less than 250,000 kWh a year automatically qualify for the rebate. If you have a large volume farm business, licensed long-term care home or a multi-unit complex which has a demand for electricity greater than 50 kW and uses more than 250,000 kWh a year and you are already receiving the OER, you DON’T need to reapply.

Expanded eligibility requirements

Starting July 1, 2022, the OER eligibility criteria will expand to include three additional types of customer accounts:

  1. A “common area” of a residential multi-unit complex
  2. Retirement residences
  3. Mobile home parks

It is important to note that some customers with accounts for common areas, retirement residences or mobile home parks may currently be receiving the OER under the legacy exemption (section 1.2 of the General Regulation). If this applies to you, and to avoid any interruption in receiving the OER, you’ll need to submit an OER Self-Declaration Form before the legacy exemption expires on October 31, 2022.

Applying for the OER

If your account has a demand for electricity greater than 50 kW, uses more than 250,000 kWh a year and meets the current or expanded eligibility requirements (as of July 1, 2022), and you aren’t already receiving the OER, please submit an OER Self-Declaration Form. This is a fillable form. You can use Adobe to add an electronic signature or print, sign and scan the form. Please complete the form and email to customerservice@gsuinc.ca

OER Self Declaration Eligibility Fillable Form

We are here to help

If you have any questions, please email us at customerservice@gsuinc.ca or call 705-675-7536 in Sudbury or 705-753-2341 if in West Nipissing.